Cee’s Black & White Challenge: Back of Things

Back of a dahlia.

Back of a dahlia.

I sincerely hope you had a lot of fun with our last topic Flowers.  I know I adored seeing all your photos and creative ways of displaying them.  Today’s topic is Back of Things.   Have fun and use your creativity!  I have examples at the bottom on this post if you would like some ideas.

Upcoming Topics

• 50 Years or older
  • Man-Made Things
  • Found in Nature
  • Big Subjects
  • Open Topic
  • Small Subjects
  • Food

Remember that Cee’s Black and White Challenge and Cee’s Which Way Challenge will run every other week.

When to Use Black and White

You are more likely going to get a higher quality black and white photo when there is a lot of color contrast or texture contrast.  The contrast will give you more depth when using black and white.

With the age of modern computer software, its fairly easy to see if your photograph will work in black and white or not.  I  use Aperture 3 (Mac software only) to do my post-processing.  I will try and give you some tips and tricks on black and white and various built-in filters.  I won’t tell you percentages, because that is going to vary from software to software.  Then of course you can always play with the percentages to get the image you want.  I usually find the one that fits the closest to what I want and then play with the sliders and percentages to get it perfect.

If you adore challenges as much as I do, please check out WordPress’s Blog Event Listing for other challenges.

How It Works?

This black and white challenge is topic related.  For a list of upcoming topics, please see the list at the bottom of this page.

Be creative and challenge yourself.  Look for contrast or highly textured subjects to shoot.

Hopefully you will find your creative eye will be expanded.

Please do not use sepia tones (brown).

ENJOY and have FUN.

Create a Cee’s Black & White Challenge Post

1. Then add a link to your blog in my comment box.
  2. To make it easy for others to check out your photos and post, title your blog post “Cee’s Black & White Challenge” tag.
  3. Remember to Follow My Blog to get your weekly reminders.

I usually will respond to your entry on your blog, rather than on my page.

Cee’s Black & White Challenge Badge

082713 b&w banner (1)
Save the button to your computer and upload from there.
Still have questions? Please contact me.

I hope you ENJOY what I chosen for this week!  These are all old ones.  I tried taking a couple of new shots, but they just weren’t as good.  These were all taken with my Nikon D80 with my 18-200 VR lens handheld.

Back of vintage car.

Back of vintage car.

Back of jet fighter.

Back of jet fighter.

Back of hand.

Back of hand.

Qi (energy) hugs,

Cee

Check our new Three’s Cooking blog, learning to cook from the heart, for the soul efforts of Chris, Sobha and me.  Chris Donner also writes the popular blog, 61 Musings.   If you ever want electronic copies of my photographs, please contact me.  Sites where I have my photography for sale.

About Cee Neuner

Chris, my wife since 1989, and I have been talking about the best way for me to journal. I'm visual and always have a camera with me, so photography is a natural way for me to express myself. As the saying goes, a pictures says a thousand words.

67 responses »

1. Great shots Cee. Love the jet…yes and Top Gun!

2. Pingback: Cee’s Black and White Challenge-Back-of-Things | WoollyMuses

3. Oooohh! I have a perfect photo for this one. I’ll try to remember to upload later tonight. Great post idea!

4. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge | Back of Things | PonderTheIrrelevant

5. Lovely – I especially love the dahlia! This was a fun change in perspective – thanks for the idea :)

6. Very interesting Cee. Love the horse’s back !

7. Pingback: BACKS OF ZEBRAS | Francine In Retirement

8. Great B&W photos. Here is mine. http://wp.me/p23TG1-3oh

BE ENCOURAGED! BE BLESSED!

9. Pingback: CEE’S BLACK AND WHITE BACK SIDE! | V A S T L Y C U R I O U S

10. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge | Photographs by James Collett

11. Pingback: Cee’s Black and White Challenge : Back Of Things | imagination

12. Pingback: Back of Things: Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge | Destino

13. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge: The Back of Things | Deelusions Photography

14. greyzoned/angelsbark

I soooo love black & white photography! I should get back into it and get a real camera, an SLR digital. Right now I just play around with my iPad camera, and surprisingly the latest iPad takes fairly decent photos for what it is. Back in the day (1980) I took a photography class in college and of course it was B&W. I had a “darkroom” in my closet at home and developed my own film and spent hours in the darkroom at school watching pictures come to life when bathing them in the chemicals. I loved it. I just feel like I’m so far behind at this point, I don’t think I could ever catch up and learn all the new technology and techniques that have come about in the past 3 decades! For now I’ll live vicariously through your photos. Thanks for the great experience: visiting your blog is a real treat!

15. Those are some really cool shots

16. Pingback: Black and white challenge- from behind. | @vannilla

17. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge: Back of Things | Welcome to Black Hills Reiki

18. Those are awesome!! I really love the back of hand, so full of life!!!
    I went the easy route and went for the back side…of a Highland sheep! http://blackhillsreiki.com/2014/01/29/cees-black-white-challenge-back-of-things/

19. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge | Square One Notes

20. Pingback: Cee’s Black and White Challenge: Back of Things | Foto Challenge

21. Pingback: Cee’s B&W photo challenge: Back of things | Reflections and Nightmares- Irene A Waters (writer and memoirist)

22. Beautiful! I love black and white photography :)

23. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge – Back of Things | imexcited

24. Pingback: Photo Challenge | I Won't Take It

25. Pingback: Churchill’s View | Travel with Intent

26. Uhm, I don’t have a lot of ‘back’ of black and white but I do have some black and white that I’d like to submit, If it’s alright :)

27. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge: Back of Things | What Is It?!?

28. Another great challenge Cee, and I love your photos you’ve chosen! I’ve got an assortment of images. http://schelleycassidy.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/cees-black-white-challenge-back-of-things/ :D

29. Pingback: the back of things « blogagaini

30. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge: Back of Things | Jennifer Nichole Wells

31. I’m finally getting back into challenges :) Thanks so much Cee for keeping these up! Here’s my contribution to this week’s black and white challenge: http://jennifernicholewells.com/2014/01/31/cees-black-white-challenge-back-of-things/

32. Pingback: Back of Things – Cee’s B&W | "On Dragonfly Wings with Buttercup Tea"

33. Cee, I enjoy the selections made for this week’s challenge! Thank you for sharing! :D

34. that flower is stunning, what an amazing shot

35. Pingback: The Rule of Thirds | Thinking Through My Lens

36. This one is going to require me to do some work. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

37. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge: Back of Things | Jejak Langkah

38. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge: Back of Things | Katarina pratar

39. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge : Back of Things / Bagian Belakang Sesuatu | bambangpriantono

40. Hi Cee, the contact link does not work for me, and I need some help on your site Can you help me? my email is blogagaini@icloud.com
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

41. Pingback: NaBloPoMo: Blogging is Beautiful | Destino

42. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge: Back of Things | Let There be Peace on Earth

43. Pingback: Cee’s Black&White Challenge Photography ‘Back of things’ | Campanulla Della Anna

44. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Challenge: Back of Things (Frozen Chevy) | Points of View

45. I love this theme and your pictures are stunning. I love the back of the hand!
    Here is my entry: http://mannalexandra.wordpress.com/2014/02/10/cees-black-white-challenge-back-of-things/

46. Pingback: Cee’s Black & White Photo Challenge: Back of Things |

47. Pingback: Fishing Boats in Campbeltown Harbour, Kintyre | Photographs by James Collett

I adore comments! Thanks for stopping by to visit.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,160 other followers