Cee’s Compose Yourself Lessons (CCY) is a series of Lessons I did for photo composition. I will most likely add more lessons from time to time.
What Is Composition?
There are dozens of factors that come into play in the art of composition. The more familiar you are with them, and the more you practice them, the more successful you will become. As you learn the basics and practice defining your compositions, you will bring a professional quality to all of your photography.
There really aren’t a lot of books on composition for art of any type, but especially for photography. Composition is about is how an individual person sees their world and records it in their art. We all see differently, and that is reflected in our photographs.
I’m teaching how I see and use composition in my own photography. I hope it will help you expand your vision and how you will decided to compose your pictures. Everyone develops their own style, but you can’t have a successful style until you learn the basics. Once you understand those, you can pick and choose as you like.
Composition is the first step in successful photography. All the post-processing skills in the world won’t help if the composition is bad to start with. Your pictures need to have good “bones” to give you something to work with.
Here are links to the past lessons:
- CCY: #24 Black and White – Post Processing
- CCY: #23 Black and White – The Basics
- CCY: #22 Guide the Viewer and Flipping Photos
- CCY: #21 Landscapes
- CCY: #20 Review and Practice
- CCY: #19 Geometry in Photography
- CCY: #18 Contrasting Colors
- CCY: #17 Complementary/Harmonious Colors
- CCY: #16 Color Basics
- CCY: #15 Cropping Tips
- CCY: #14 Symmetry
- CCY: #13 Perspective
- CCY: #12 Critique My Work
- CCY: #11 Centerpoint – Breaking the Rule of Thirds
- CCY: #10 Using 2/3 of your photo frame
- CCY: #9 Rule of Thirds Introduction
- CCY: #8 Diagonal Lines
- CCY: #7 Vertical Lines
- CCY: #6 Horizontal Lines and Horizon
- CCY: #5 Leading Lines
- CCY: #4 Simplicity
- CCY: #3 Always Take More than One Photo
- CCY: #2 What All Well-Composed Photos have in Common
- CCY: #1 How your Camera is Not like Your Eye